Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Carol of the Bells: 6th grade x 3 (November 21, 2014)

When I went to teach Mrs. Pruyt's class Carol of the Bells, I was surprised to discover that some other 6th grade teachers wanted to be involved, too. Before I knew it, I was in the hallway with the piano teaching 3 classes of 6th graders (about 90 students) Carol of the Bells! There was so much energy with the group, and I was so grateful that the kids were so excited to learn the song. I was amazed at how quickly they picked up the different parts. I arranged a simpler, 3-part version of the song so that they could learn it easier. They did amazingly! Then about half-way through my lesson I looked up to see my program director, Doug Allen, observing my teaching. He gave me some helpful feedback about moving more quickly through the parts (the kids were anxious to sing the whole song), and incorporating more physical motion. It was such a fun and rewarding experience. Now these 6th graders are going to continue to practice their parts so they can perform in a school Christmas program!

No comments:

Post a Comment