Friday, April 3, 2015

Performance and Last Day at Fox Hollow Elementary


Thursday, March 26th, was Jolene's 6th grade class's performance, and my last day at Fox Hollow Elementary School. We rehearsed in the gym (where the assembly was going to take place). After running the songs a few times, we had to leave the stage for the next group to rehearse.

When it was time to perform they did so well! They first sang "Give to Me Your Hand" with Jolene conducting and me accomanying. They sang so beautifully, and the 4-part round worked so well. Their singing has improved so much this year. In November, when we first sang, I was quite concerned about their lack of pitch awareness, but now they all sing right in-tune! This is really a testimony to me of how just singing once a week can make a difference for a child's musical skills. 

Then, they performed the piece I was most nervous for, the Branle Simple. This piece featured all kinds of instruments: recorders, drums, tambourines, triangles, violas, and piano. Plus, the music accompanied a dance. We had a line of students doing a simple dance which was the traditional Renaissance dance called the "Branle Simple", then we had 4 students do solos in front of the line. It was a lot to put together, and I often feared that it wouldn't come together, but they did it! The performance was great! It wasn't perfect, but it all came together, and it was quite impressive to the whole school in the assembly. I was so proud of my students!

Afterwards, I followed Jolene's class back to their classroom to say good-bye. I made cookies for them, which I distributed. Saying good-bye was so hard! Before I left, all the 6th graders swarmed me in a mass hug (I almost fell over--6th graders are pretty strong). I felt so much love and gratitude from everyone. Jolene even told me that she would take me as a full-time student teacher. I have loved working with her! She has helped me so much. I felt like most of the time I had no idea what I was doing, but she was always there to help me and make good suggestions. I am so grateful to her for all she taught me this year!

 Oh, how I am going to miss these kids! If I could go back, I would! This has been an incredible experience. I am so grateful that I was given this opportunity to work with Arts Bridge. It has been one of the most rewarding things that I have ever done. I now know for sure that I love teaching elementary music, and now I am a little better prepared for my future in music education.

1 comment:

  1. I know this is a little late in response, but I just wanted to thank you for your hard work and contribution to the Arts Bridge Program. Reading through your blog, I can tell you've done an exceptional job!

    ReplyDelete