Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Teaching some dancing! (Feb 20th visit)

In Mrs. Pruyt's class we have been working on the music to the Branle Simple with recorders for a few weeks. This week I decided it was time to teach them the medieval dance which accompanies the melody. This was a bit of a challenge for me because I am not really a dancer, but the steps were simple, so I decided to give it a try. We gathered in a circle, and I taught the steps with some assistance from Mrs. Pruyt and a few students who did dance outside of school. In the end it worked out. I also had the students pick the part they would do for the performance of this dance. Some volunteered to play recorders, others to play drums, and the remaining to dance.

Also, as part of this visit, I taught the class some new verses I wrote to a song about the middle ages (one of the units they are covering in social studies this year). My mentor, Jennifer Purdy, gave me this great Medival round called Give to Me Your Hand. I love it, but I wished it had more verses about Medieval history, so I attempted to write some. Using these verses was a great way to teach the class about some important aspects of the Medieval period. Mrs. Pruyt even helped me teach about the Silk Road, which was the theme of the last verse.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go writing your own verses! It sounds like you are approaching the music and history with equal importance which is key to quality integration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go writing your own verses! It sounds like you are approaching the music and history with equal importance which is key to quality integration!

    ReplyDelete